Sunday, August 20, 2017

Another Sunday...

I had a lot of ideas for today's post. However most of those ideas I will put on the back burner and write them in later blogs. Today's blog will be of a somber note. This week it will be a year since my cousin passed away. So this post is kinda the one I've been meaning to write but had never got to jot down. He was older than me so he was like a kind of mentor to me too. Our families spent a lot of time together when we were all kids. He and I had things in common we liked. Like comic books, art and music. When I was in high school he went with a couple of friends to California. His friends came back at some point but he stayed. He never came back here at all. In my early 20's I went to visit him with his brother and a couple of years later with my brother. We had a great time both times. So over the years we kept in touch by letters. A few phone calls back then because you remember long distance calling could be very expensive especially as long as he and I talked on the phone. We also did a lot of that before he left but that was all local calling. Even the miles apart we kept in touch and that never changed as the technology changed. We shared letters, shared tapes and later cds, books and other stuff we both liked. When I first got use of a computer, even though I didn't have one at home, we shared emails instead of letters. Electronic letters if you will. I created an email address at the library and wrote from there a couple times. Then I would use my dad's computer which from his home you could connect to the library and use their internet connection for free. There was and probably still is a time limit on that. Then of course when I got my own pc we shared from there. We always had something to say and talked about everything over the years. He was more than my cousin. He was my best friend too. This weekend I've been thinking a lot about him and how I miss our e-letters. Ironically I had just talked to him on the phone shortly before he passed. Strangely enough I remember after hanging up (I still use this line after a phone call when in reality we now hit the end button), I had forgotten to tell him something and thought I should call back. Then I said to myself, I'll tell him next time when I call. Well I didn't get that chance. The next call I got was from his brother (who lives close by to me) that he had passed. We were pretty shocked. Lastly I want to say is take that moment when you think of it. No one ever knows when it will be the last time you talk to someone you care about. 
Tomorrow is the eclipse, one of those things that happen in the movement of the celestial bodies. Make it a great start to your week....

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you, if we have the chance, because things can change so suddenly. It sounds like you had a great friend in your cousin, this was a great tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was nice, a tribute to your cousin. I agree with you about taking that time to call or write , contact in some way because death can come in the blink of an eye and there are no second chances. Great blog Greg. Have a really nice week. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lia. I'll talk about my cousin more in future blogs. You're right there are no second chances. Always take the time to tell the people in your life that you love them. (-:

      Delete
    2. Hey, I quit with G+ but am still going to blog on blogger.

      Delete