Sunday, May 28, 2017

Ramblin'..

Here it is Sunday already. Normally I'd be asking where did the time go? Well I'm still asking lol. An extra day for the weekend. For paid holidays at the workplace, this was the long stretch. The last paid holiday was Jan 1st, New Years Day. Go figure.
Any holiday is a reminder of things gone by. Used to be we would all gather at mom and dad's for a holiday picnic. Sure miss them very much. So I was thinking back to some of those past Memorial Days and the holidays at my parents in general. We always cooked something on the grill. Just like about every American. One of the things we used to do was play Bocce Ball. If you ever have played it, this is how it starts, you throw a little ball which I just looked up that is called the jack. Wherever it lands is where you want to roller the bigger Bocce balls to get as close as you can get. Usually we played in teams. Well the lawn in our parents backyard wasn't the best for Bocce Ball. Sometimes just throwing the jack would disappear into the grass. I was chuckling thinking about this. So as we played on sometimes the roll of the ball would do funny things because the yard wasn't exactly smooth like it should be. 
Anyhoo I miss our picnics but it's all part of life goes on. After I get things all settled and such, hopefully I'll be able to start some new picnics. 
I finally got the lawn mowed today. It's rained for days. It was too wet to do yesterday. When I looked at my weather app Saturday night it was calling for rain Sunday morning around 11 a.m. I got started about 9:45 expecting I would just get done in time. It's turned out to be a pretty warm partly cloudy day. It's just after 4 now and I expect the thunderstorms are just about to get here. Hope it's not as severe as they say. 
So take a moment tomorrow and honor our brave men and women......

2 comments:

  1. Memorial Day weekend was when we would put the pool up for the kids when they were growing up. We had one of those 15 ft by 3 ft deep pools for them and it would take all day to get it up and fill it, but they would wait and jump in that icy water the minute we told them they could :-) Also my brother who was in the Marine Corp would usually be down that weekend so we would take the kids to the Memorial Day service in town so they could learn what the holiday was actually about . I can't remember doing anything when I was a kid other than we always went out to the cemetary and put flowers on the graves of relatives who had served in the military. Luckily for us we never had one lose his life in war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As kids we would just want to get in the pool. Icy water or not lol! I remember my uncles and aunts and cousins coming for picnics at my mom and dad's. Probably wasn't every year or holiday. My memory just feels like it was. (-:

      Delete